skip to Main Content

Emergency Vessel Handler

A possible alternative option for companies to employ a deckhand as a mate if they do not hold SRL<24. Maritime NZ exemption required

Ready to take on more responsibility in your role as a deckhand?

Fishing, aquaculture and other non-passenger ships >24m – 500GT need someone on board who can take over if something happens to the skipper.  Part 31 states this must be a mate holding at least Skipper Restricted Limits <24, however you may be eligible for an exemption.

Working with the industry in the Top of the South and in cooperation with Maritime NZ, we developed a training and assessment program that was used in their application to justify such an exemption, assuring the regulator that the deckhand would be trained and independently assessed to take over should the skipper fall overboard or become incapacitated.

If you operate non-passenger vessels of this size in restricted limits, give us a call and we’d be happy to help. There’s no obligation, and no charge if you are unable to gain an exemption.

How it works

Click on image to make bigger.

*Please note this is not an NZQA accredited course.

Back To Top